Middle Eastern Bulgur Salad
This is a divine salad with all the exotic flavours of the Middle East. It can be eaten hot as well! Win-win! Easy to make, nutritious and soooooo tasty. Get your fez on in the kitchen this weekend!
2 red capsicum peppers, chopped into bite size pieces
1 brown onion, chopped into bite size pieces
2 cups of bulgur wheat #2
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp harissa sauce
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chopped almonds
1 tbsp raisins
Rapessed oil and salt
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Pre-heat oven 350f
1. Place your chopped peppers and onions onto a baking tray and drizzle with oil and sprinkle a little salt and pepper over and bake for about 30 minutes until soft.
2. In a large pan, heat up 1 tbsp of oil and add the cumin, cinnamon and harissa paste and fry for about 1 minute.
2. Add the bulgur, stir and then add the veggie stock.
3. Bring the stock up to a boil with the lid on, then turn the heat to low with the lid off and cook for 10 minutes until all the stock has gone. Add salt to taste.
4. Toast the nuts in a fry for about 3-4 mintes (easy to burn so keep an eye on them!)
If making as a salad, allow the peppers and onions, plus the bulgur to cool. Then mix them together. Add the parsley and mix in. Top with the toasted nuts and raisins.
if eating warm, mix the peppers, onions and bulgur while hot add the parsley and mix in. Top with nuts and raisins and serve immediately.
If you want to add some meat to this. Chop up a little chicken breast into bite size pieces. Salt and pepper chicken. In a separate pan, in a little hot rapeseed oil, fry the chicken off until its nearly cooked. Add to the bulgur about 5 minutes before it’s ready.