Yogi Shepherds Pie
Yogi shepherds pie
Comfort food at its best! (and healthiest!)
Cheesy sweet potato with lentils, spinach, red pepper and mushrooms. It’s kinda like shepherds pie – but better!!!!
200g dried lentils
2 tbsp Worcester sauce
2 large sweet potatoes
1 large red capsicum pepper finely chopped
1 punnet mushrooms finely chopped
1 onion friendly chopped
3/4 bag spinach finely chopped
3-4 tbsp Worcester sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare and cook lentils. Wash lentils and add to pan. Put double the amount of water in the pan with a pinch of salt and Worcester sauce. Bring to a boil with lid on, and simmer until lentils cooked (about 30 minutes)
2. While the lentils are cooking, Prepare sweet potatoes. Peel and chop into small bite size pieces. Place in pan, cover with water, add 2 tsp salt, boil and simmer until soft (about 20-30 mins) Drain and then mash (without butter) add the nutritional yeast to the mashed potatoes and taste. Should have a lovely sweet and slightly cheesy taste.
3. While the lentils and sweet potato are cooking, prepare veggies. Add about 1 tbsp olive oil to a fry pan, and add onions, mushrooms and red pepper. Sauté on medium low heat for about 20 minutes until soft and translucent. Add spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the extra Worcester sauce and salt to (your) taste.
4. Mix the lentils and veggies together and add a little water so it’s not too dry. Place in a casserole dish.
5. Spoon the mashed sweet potato mixture over the top and smooth out with a fork. At this stage your pie can be kept in a fridge (or even freezer if you want it for another day)
6. When ready to eat, bake at 400f for about 30 minutes. (why not try and have a little meditation while it cooks! You will feel better!)
7. Spoon it out onto a bed of raw spinach and get tucked in. Real comfort food – real healthy!