Healthy Apple Crumble Scones
JUST YUM!!!! Easy to make, great for breakfast, mid morning snack or as a dessert. Packed with cholesterol reducing oats, dates and apples.
Ingredients (makes 5 large scones)
3 cups of oats
8oz pitted dates
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Peel and slice apples. Place in a pan and add 1/4 cup of water. Put lid on pan. Bring water to a boil and then simmer until apples are soft. Top up water if necessary. Once soft, drain and use a fork to ‘mash’ them up. Leave to cool.
2. Add 2 cups of oats and the cinnamon to a bowl.
3. Blend 1 cup of the oats with the dates.
4. Add the date/oat mixture to the oat/cinnamon mixture and ‘rub in’ until all the oats are mixed in and ‘sticky’ with the dates
5. Take a large tbsp and scoop up a mixture of the oats into a ball. Press your thumb in to make a large dent in the ball and add 1 tsp of the apple mixture. Fold over the oats so you have a ball with the majority of the apple on the inside of the mixture. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
6. Place the balls onto a silpat/greased tray and then flatten the balls out with the palm of your hand until the scones are about 11/2 inch high.
7. Bake at 375f for about 30 minutes..
Store them in an airtight container and eat for breakfast, or serve them straight away with a little ice cream for dessert. Or save them for your mid morning snack at work tomorrow!