Mediterranean Seared Scallops
This is a very quick (less than 30 minutes) appetiser that you can put together easily and is pretty high in the ‘wow’ factor. If you want to serve something special as an appetiser for a dinner party and want to bask in the glow of appreciation from you guests but don’t actually want to put too much effort into the dish, then this is the dish for you!
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 oz haloumi cheese
2 oz pasta (use gluten free pasta if you need it)
1 large tomato
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1/2 small red chili (if you like spicy add all the chili!)
1/4 chopped red onion
1 tbsp fig vinegar
1-2 dried figs
1. Make salsa. Add all ingredients except the vinegar to a small blender and blend for 30 seconds (It doesn’t want to be mush – just small pieces!). When you are ready to serve -add the vinegar to the salsa
2. Boil a little salted water in a pan. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain
3. Make sure your scallops are dry. Halve each scallop through the middle so they are still fully round but half the size in thickness. Season each side with a little salt and pepper. Add some grape seed oil to a fry pan and wait until hot. Sear the scallops in the hot oil for about 1 minute each side
4. Slice the haloumi into 1/4 inch thick slices and sear in the same pan as the scallops (after you have finished searing the scallops!), until light brown on both sides. Cut into small circles.
5. Compile your dish. Make 3 small nests of pasta on each plate (2 plates) Pop a seared scallop on each nest then a pieces of haloumi. Top off with a spoonful of salsa. Repeat!
Sit back and glow in the gasps of appreciation you get from your guests!