Healthy Indian Potato and Lentil Cakes
Oh my………OH ….MY……….these are just THE BEST. Trying is believing I know, but please let me know I’m not wrong! I LOVE, LOVE LOVE these little cakes of joy! Absolutely bursting with the most amazing flavours, easy to make and even easier to scoff. Give them a try and message me below on how you liked them! (Gluten free if you omit the dusting of flour)
Ingredients (makes 6 cakes)
2 medium sized potatoes
1/2 cup of orange split lentils
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1/4 cup chopped mint
2 fresh green chilies
2 tbsp tamarind paste
2 cloves black garlic (normal garlic is fine if you don’t have black)
pinch of salt
oil for frying
Flour for dusting (optional)
1. Cook lentils. Add a little oil to a pan, add the turmeric, mustard seeds and curry powder and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add the lentils and stir them around the spices for 1 minute. Add 11/2 cups of water to the pan. Bring to boil and allow to boil for a couple of minutes. Then simmer until water has gone and lentils are cooked. (About 25 minutes)
2. Cook potatoes. Just wash the potatoes, don’t peel them (more nutrients this way!). Chop into small pieces, place in a pan with cold water, bring to the boil and then simmer until they are soft. (About 20 minutes) Drain and then mash them without butter, cream or milk. (You want to keep the patty dry)
3. Make the paste. Add all the ingredients to a small blender and whiz until you have formed a paste. (Note you will only be using 11/2 tbsp of this paste there will be left overs for another day…yippeee!)
4. Bring them all together. Wait until lentils and potatoes are cool. Place in a bowl and add 11/2tbsp of the paste. Mix them all together.
5 Form into 6 patties. Dust the outside of each patty with a little flour (optional)
6. Heat a little olive oil in a fry pan, and cook patties until brown on each side. Don’t overcrowd the fry pan, be patient….they are worth it!
yum, yum yum, yum……. get tucked in! Healthy, tasty, easy……..what’s not to like. Tell me your thoughts on these little bites of deliciousness.