Quinoa Coated Scallops Topped With Grilled Halloumi With A Caper & Raisin Dressing
This is a dish that Gordon Ramsey made, but he used panko to coat the scallops. I’ve blended some cooked quinoa and coated the scallops in that just to make it a little more halo inducing! Its a delicious and conversation stopping appetizer that really is easy to make.
Ingredients serves 4
4 large scallops, sliced in half (so the scallop is still a circle but just thinner!)
2 cups of blended cooked quinoa (it’s easier to blend it before you cook it)
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp AP flour (for dusting)
8oz halloumi (you won’t use all of the halloumi but you’ll need that much to cut out your circles!)
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying
1 cup water
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup capers
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Make sure scallops are dry. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each side
2. Coat the scallops in quinoa. First dip in the flour and shake excess off, dip in egg, shake excess off and then roll in the quinoa to coat.
3.For the dressing, add the water, capers and raisins to a pan and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 5 minutes.
4. When the dressing has cooled, add the olive oil and the vinegar to the capers. Blend for a couple of minutes.
5. Cut the halloumi into circles, (similar size as the scallops) and about 1/4 inch thick
When ready to serve
5 Heat some olive oil in a pan and add scallops (don’t overcrowd the pan) cook each side until the quinoa is golden brown
6. Cook the halloumi in the same pan until brown on each side
Serve the scallop with a teaspoon of the dressing on it and then top that with the halloumi.
Serve with a small wedge of lemon.
Ta Da!!!! An awe inspiring appetizer that is delicious, healthy and bloody amazing! (Scuse the language – but it is!!!)