Home Made Kale Tortillas With Spicy Beans and an Apple Salsa
Every part of this dish is so easy to prepare and can be made in advance. The best part of it for me is it can be topped with an egg and eaten for breakfast or topped with some grilled chicken (for meat eaters!) and eaten for supper. It’s healthy and the tastes are SO vibrant and fresh. What are you waiting for?!!
Home Made Kale Tortillas
The purpose of adding kale to the tortillas isn’t for flavour, but more for just adding some super nutrients to the dish!
1 cup of kale leaves
3 tbsp water
1 cup of flour
3 tbsp oil
pinch of salt
1 tbsp hot water (optional)
Spicy Black Beans
1 red capsicum pepper
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 punnet mushrooms
2 cans of black beans
1 red chili pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp minced garli
salt and pepper to taste
1 apple (your favourite type!), peeled, cored and chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
3 tbsp of chopped cilantro/coriander
1/2 cucumber chopped
1 red chili finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Blend the kale leaves with the water to make a kale paste
2. Mix the flour with the salt. Add the oil and mix in
3. Add the kale paste and bring together
4. Add an additional tbsp of hot water if too dry.
5. The mixture will make about 6 tortillas. Flour the worktop and using a rolling pin roll out 1/6 of the mixture until very thin.
6. Heat a fry pan over a medium hot flame and dry fry each tortilla for a couple of minutes each side.
Spicy Black Beans
1. Chop the onion into small pieces and fry with a little oil over a medium heat with the garlic, cumin chili and coriander. Lower the heat and allow to cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
2. Meanwhile slice the red pepper and mushrooms into thin slices. Place on a baking tray. Rub some oil into them and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper over them. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes till soft and cooked.
3. Rinse the beans and add them with the cooked onions to the pepper and mushrooms. These can be kept like this in the fridge for a few days and heated up in the oven when required. Taste and add salt and pepper as required. If you are not serving these with the salsa, sprinkle some chopped coriander over just before serving
1. Add the apple, cucumber, tomato, red onion, cilantro and chili to a bowl and mix.
2. When ready to serve add the lime juice and salt to taste.
For supper, serve with the spicy beans and salsa, top with some pumpkin seeds and if you eat meat a piece of grilled chicken tender.
For breakfast top with some avocado and an egg and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds over it! Delicious, healthy and guilt free!