Thai Shrimp And Quinoa Cakes
These are unbelievable tasty. Easy to make with a huge WOW factor. Make these Thai shrimp and quinoa cakes for your next little gathering as an appetizer or serve them up mid week with some stir fried veggies. Either way you will love ’em!
makes 10 small appetizer size cakes
1 cup of cooked quinoa
6 raw shrimps/prawns (shelled and de-veined)
2 tbsp Claire’s chili lemon grass sauce (recipe below)
2 tbsp egg white
1 tbsp flax seed
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
* mix the flax seed and water together and then use only 1 tsp of the mixture in the recipe
1. Cook off your quinoa (1 cup of quinoa rinsed in 2 cups of water brought to boil and then simmer until all water has evaporated and quinoa is cooked), Allow quinoa to cool.
2. Make up a batch of Claire’s chili lemon grass sauce (recipe below)
3. Peel and de-vein your prawns/shrimps
4. Mix your flax seed with the water and allow to sit for 3 minutes. Then use 1 tsp of the completed mixture (not all of it) (keep the remainder in your fridge it can be used as a binder in many dishes)
5.In a blender add all your ingredients (quinoa, flaxseed mix, egg white, prawns/shrimps, chili lemon grass sauce)
6. Mix until prawns/shrimps are small pieces.
7. Form into small round and flat shapes (like the picture) About 1 tbsp will make 1 ‘cake’
8 Heat coconut oil in a fry pan and when the oil gets hot, fry the cakes until they are brown on both sides.
9. Serve immediately
Guilt free Thai appetizers! You can even serve these alongside the Vietnamese chicken spring rolls and a salad for a healthy Asian dinner or lunch!
Claire’s chili lemon grass Sauce
Make up a batch of this and keep it in your fridge. It’s a great dressing for salad, for drizzling over chicken or seafood or adding to dishes (like this one!) or to Asian themed soups.
6 tbsp fish sauce
6 tbsp lime juice
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 inch lemon grass
1 small garlic clove
2 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro
Mix all the ingredients together with a hand mixer or in a blender (making sure the lemon grass is fully blended)