Spicy Mushroom Burgers
I used to be a big meat eater, but recently, having started Cornell’s whole food plant based nutrition course, I’ve decided to cut back on my meat and to choose more veggie dishes. I have to say though, amazingly, that I actually prefer these burgers to the standard beef burgers. These healthy vegetarian burgers are spectacular!!! – give them a go – if you are a vegetarian you will love them, and if you’re not a vegetarian you will be very pleasantly surprised!!
Makes 4 patties
1 punnet (about 15) mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red chili
1/4 inch peeled fresh ginger
1 tbsp fresh coriander
2 tbsp raw almonds
5 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
5 tbsp wheat germ (omit if you are gluten free)
2tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1. Chop zucchini/courgette into small pieces and leave in a bowl with a sprinkle of salt (this is to release the water) Leave for 10 minutes, then squeeze out any water.
2. Add the mushrooms, garlic, squeezed zucchini, chili, ginger and coriander/cilantro into your vitamix (or equivalent) and whizz until minced.
3. Spoon the minced vegetable mixture into a bowl and then add the sunflower seeds, almond and wheat germ into the mixer and whiz until size of fine breadcrumbs
4. Add the seeds and nuts mixture to the minced vegetables and then add the tamari/soy sauce.
5. Form into patties and fry them up just like a normal burger.
6. Serve in a bread bun with lettuce, tomatoes and onions and anything else your little heart desires!! Try them in my gluten free low carb bread rolls for an exceptionally healthy dinner!!