Baked mushroom stuffed with goats cheese drizzled with pesto
This is a great entree or can be served with a simple salad for lunch. You don’t have to make the goats cheese yourself, you can just buy some ready made and mix the prosciutto in with it. Its healthy, its yummy….so what are you waiting for?!!!
4 large portobello mushrooms
½ pint goat’s milk
2 lemon juiced
2 large beef tomatoes
1 cup basil
½ cup walnuts
2 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper to season
- Set oven to 400F
- De-stem and wipe mushroom clean. Smear with oil and salt & pepper. Place on oven tray and roast for 20 minutes
- Make goats cheese. Bring goat’s milk up to 180F. Take off boil and stir in lemon juice. Strain through cheesecloth and leave to drain. Season.
- Top and tail each tomato and cut into thick slices. Season and smear with oil. Grill on high heat browning on both sides.
- Make pesto. Whiz pesto, walnuts, oil and garlic together. Season
- Take the mushroom out the oven and put the tomato in the mushroom. Top the tomato with goats cheese and bake for a further 8 minutes
- Take out the oven and drizzle with pesto
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, but walnuts are a delicious alternative, and pack more protein and potassium than pine nuts do. They also have less carbs than pine nuts do!
Goats cheese is a healthier alternative to cow’s cheese, it has less lactose, it is less allergenic and is easier to digest. It’s high in calcium and is a great source of protein. It also has less carbs than cow’s milk does!